This is one of my favourites readings. I use it with the 5th grade to complement a unit about animals. The students enjoy the reading because it’s short, simple but full of interesting facts.
- I divide the class in small groups which look for different key words. Each group finds one word. The first in each group writes it on the board. This takes less time.
- Then I show them the pictures of the animals and students make comments about them.
- They read the text and answer the questions individually. I encourage them to guess meaning from context and consult a dictionary only where necessary.
- We read the text aloud, this time I focus on pronunciation.
- We correct the questions*
- The last two questions generate a speaking activity
- This activity can be followed by a search in the internet for other peculiar animals: the thorny devil, giant soft-shelled turtle, aye-aye, etc.
*There are some interesting videos on youtube which could be shown after each paragraph is read.
ANSWER THE QUESTIONS.
1 Where do the snow monkeys live? ___________________
2 Why are they called snow monkeys? ________________
3 Why are they different from other monkeys? ___________
4 What type of animal is the basenji? __________________
5 Why are they different? _________________________
6 Where can you find the jabiru? ____________________
7 Does it sing? _______________________________
8 What type of animal is a glass snake? ________________
9 How long can it be? ___________________________
10 What does chameleon mean in Greek? ______________
11 Which of these animals is your favourite one? ______
12 Which one is the strangest? _________________
Olga Elorriaga (Geroa Ikastola)